
I hit the jackpot yesterday at a fantastic estate sale! I bought two very large (5 or 6 yards) pieces of vintage fabric. The woman who was having the sale said there was an interesting story with the pieces. Her aunt was married to a diplomat and they traveled extensively overseas. Her passion was fabric and she collected it world wide.This cloth was bought in the twenties and was already vintage, so who knows how old it really is! The two pieces I bought are delightfully aged. This one looks like embroidered silk and lined with a heavy linen.

This pieces has a very heavy "tapestry" design in the center with squares of rose silk sewn around it. It is also lined with linen. (The silk is falling apart, but I intend to use every bit of it in collage-ing.) There is a heavy textured ribbon hand sewn both around the edges and around the design. It looks very Asian and ancient.

This is a detail of the tapestry design, richly floral and fading. Can't wait to transform my treasure trove into some art quilts or fabric books! The lady from the estate sale was so happy that her aunt's collection will be put to new use.

I bought this black framed vintage photo at another sale, a mother saying goodnight prayers with her girls. A good day of sale-ing!
2 comments:
sheesh I guess! go you!
Don't you just love junking! Fab fabrics,and picture finds Marie.
Post a Comment